Saturday, February 17, 2007

Gung Hay Fat Choy!!


It's time for the Year Of The Pig! In honor of the Chinese New Year, we made dragons in my art class yesterday. This was in my son's 4th grade class, so of course, it was enjoyable. I talked a little about Chinese New Year and how the dragon is the most sacred animal in Chinese culture. They each were given 3 pieces of thick paper to draw and color the head, body and tail. I did a simple example of how to draw a dragon. Many did their own version and that was great. They were to also fold the body into an accordion fold (some did need help with this also). Along with my helpers, I helped them to attach the head, body and tail together using brads, or brass fasteners. I also took the extra time to add hole protectors, which was a good thing because the kids really were playing with them when they were done. We attached sticks with masking tape on the back. It was a fair amount of work for the adults to put the things together, but some kids could do it and they also helped.

This example is from a very talented young lady. She's always one of the shining stars in the class. (Along with my own son-of course! Just my biased opinion!!)

This was very age appropriate lesson. The kids really enjoyed it, no breakdowns, took the whole 55 minutes, and the teacher also agreed and thought it was a wonderful project. Yaaaayyyy!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow! I love this! I might have to borrow this and use it with my class. So colorful and fun. Your students will surely remember this!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is wonderful.... I will be back!