Sunday, October 05, 2008

Cosmos - Late Season Bloomers


I'm sure you avid gardeners out there have grown Cosmos before. They were my introduction to gardening back in my youth. They are the easiest flowers to grow from seed. In fact for those of you in a moister environment, they may be too easy to grow, and could possibly take over if allowed to. I don't have that problem here, so I enjoy them very much. Not only are they not picky, but they brighten up your late-season garden beautifully!


Most grow about 3 feet high, or so. This year I have one growing over 6 feet high! This one took it's time to bloom, and instead put it's energy into growing super tall. But now is blooming so lovely, and the height is amazing.


Another advantage of the Cosmos is that the bees love them! And with our much needed honey bees in dire straits, it's so helpful to them to have these vibrant, whimsical, easy-to-grow beauties in your garden.

3 comments:

Debbie Gootter said...

Love the flower with the bee

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful -- great pictures!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Oh - yes - my bold fuchsia cosmos are still happily blooming amid the gold and yellow nasturtium, calendula and deepening-reds of sedum. It's quite a loving site!